The Parliamentary Committee on Childhood and Adolescence, which was set up by Law no. 451/1997, has the task of guiding and monitoring the actual implementation of international agreements and of legislation concerning the rights and development of children and adolescents.
The Committee is made up of twenty Senators and twenty Deputies appointed respectively by the President of the Senate of the Republic and by the President of the Chamber of Deputies. The composition of the committee is roughly proportional to that of the Parliament itself, with each parliamentary group having at least one representative. The Committee elects among its members a Chairperson, two Vice-Chairpersons and two Secretaries. | The composition of the committee |
In particular, the Committee:
- asks for information, data and documents on the results of the activities carried out by public administrations and by entities focusing on issues related to the rights or development of children and adolescents;
- promotes the exchange of information and synergies with organizations and institutions active in Italy and abroad, associations, non-governmental organizations and all the other entities working in the fields of the protection and promotion of children’s rights, adoption and foster care;
- reports the results of its activities to the two Houses of Parliament at least once a year;
- draws up observations and proposals on the effects, limits and any need for the adjustment of legislation in force, in particular to ensure it is in accordance with EU legislation and with the provisions of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child of 1989;
- expresses its mandatory opinion for the purposes of the adoption of the National Action Plan for the protection of the rights and development of children and adolescents (the opinion must be expressed within 60 days from the date on which the draft Plan was sent; if no opinion is expressed within this deadline, the Plan can be adopted anyway).
Parliamentary Committee on Childhood and Adolescence
via del Seminario, 76 - 00186 ROME
Telephone: (+39) 06/67609696-9201
website of the Parliamentary Committee on Childhood